Col. W.P. Rogers Story Corinth Mississippi Sons of Confederate Vetrans

 

 

Colonel William P. Rogers Statue Dedication Ceremony
On Sunday October 3, 2010, the newly restored Colonel William P. Rogers statue was dedicated on the day that the battle for Corinth began in 1862. It was a grand occasion for SCV members of the General Albert Sydney Johnston and Colonel William P. Rogers Camps as this completed a nearly 10 year effort to raise the funds for the restoration.
Music was provided by the "Lost Cause". Chaplin Tony Brown gave the invocation. Mississippi Division Commander Bill Atkinson gave the keynote address. Commander Mangus thanked the individuals and groups that made the restoration possible. The 48th Tennessee provided the military salute. The Rev. Christy Morgan gave the benediction. Our Real Sons, Mr. James Nelms and Mr. Willie Cartwright, and Ms Dana Lee of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and Commanders Atkinson and Mangus placed a wreath on the monument. Over 150 persons were in attendance for the event.


Statue Dedication


Tony Brown, Larry Mangus, Bill Atkinson, & Christy Morgan


Bill Atkinson, Larry Mangus, Mr. Willie Cartwright, Mr. James Nelms & Dana Lee of UDC


Military Salute


Lost Cause


Bill Atkinson & Larry Mangus Front - Mr. Willie Cartwright, Mr. James Nelms and Mrs. Nelms


Bill Atkinson, Commander MS Division, Larry Mangus, Mr. Willie
Cartwright, Mr. James Nelms & Dana Lee



2010-2011 Camp of the Year Award
At the 116th Annual Mississippi Sons of Confederate Veterans Division meeting held in Gulfport. MS the Col. William P. Rogers SCV Camp received its second Jefferson Davis Award as the Mississippi SCV Camp of the year for 2010-2011. The awards committee cited the educational and preservation efforts of the Camp for the honor.

Commander Mangus with the two Camp of the Year Awards



Camp receives grant to restore statue
The Col. W.P. Rogers Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #321 was awarded a Mississippi Department of History and Archives grant for $19,800 to restore the Statue of their name sake that sits on the historic Alcorn County House grounds in Corinth. Buddy Ellis, Commander of the SCV camp said, "The Camp has been raising funds for nearly ten years to do the necessay restoration to preserve the statue for future generations.". The competition was very strong for the award as the MDHA had 66 proposals requesting nearly $14 million dollars and they had only 2 million to award. The Rogers Camp is the first SCV camp to recieve an award from the MDHA. The 88 page grant was written by Dr. Larry Mangus, the Rogers Camp Adjutant, with great cooperation and assistance from local and state officials. The restoration was completed in summer 2010.

Before

After



Camp helps honor Iuka unidentified soldiers
The Col. W.P. Rogers Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #321 of Corinth and Iuka’s John Stone Chapter #494 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy held a Dedication and Memorial Service to honor the 263 unidentified Confederate soldiers who were killed in the Battle of Iuka on September 19, 1862. A tombstone was placed near the mass grave in Shady Grove Cemetery. The program was conducted by Buddy Ellis Commander of the Col. Rogers Camp with assistance from Eunell Handy of the John Stone UDC Chapter, Jan Anglin of the Tishomingo County Archives and History, and Larry Mangus, Adjutant of the Col. W.P. Rogers Camp. Music for the service was provided by “The Lost Cause” led by Mike Byrd. A military salute was provided by reenactors from the 48th Tennessee Regiment and taps was played by James Embrey. The benediction was given by Tony Brown of the Col. Rogers Camp. The new marker honors those unidentified Confederate heroes who gave their all for their country in the war for Southern Independence.


Major George W. Bynum Memorial Dedication Ceremony
On September 26, 2010, the camp sponsored a Memorial Service and Headstone Dedication for Major George W. Bynum of the 11th Mississippi Cavalry. He fought in every major battle in the war, being wounded three times. After the war he was a public official at the city, county and state levels. He was a distinguished soldier and public servant. He was the only one of the five Bynum brothers that fought in the war that did not have a marker on his grave. The ceremony was attended by family members from five states. Music was provided by the "Lost Cause", Chaplin Tony Brown gave the invocation and benediction. Mr. Skip Blackburn spoke for the Bynum family and Commander mangus presided over the ceremony. The 48th Tennessee provided the military salute and Mr. James Embrey played taps. Over 75 persons were in attendance.

Photos From Major George W. Bynum Memorial Ceremony
Major Bynum Memorial Program

(l to r) Jim Corley, Larry Mangus, Christy Morgan

Bynum Family

Bynum Family Spokesman

Flags

Military Salute

Uncovering Headstone - Larry Mangus on Right

 

** In memory of Stan Hughes **
SCV Camp #321 | P.O. Box 1591 | Corinth, Mississippi 38835-1591
design byzacksteen.com

Monthly Meetings Camp News